|It is an exciting and challenging time to be part of the nursing and midwifery workforce in Northern Ireland. Throughout a recent unprecedented period of change, the delivery of safe, high quality, effective and compassionate care has heavily relied upon nurses and midwives working across a diverse and wide range of settings with the aim of providing person centred care 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. In Northern Ireland, a range of recent policy directives, including Transforming Your Care (DHSSPS, 2011), have set the direction for future service delivery. While the HSC remains the largest employer of Nurses and Midwives, increasing numbers are now being employed in the independent, voluntary and private sectors.|
The project was chaired by Lynn Fee, Assistant Director of Nursing, Southern HSC Trust and the Working Group was made up of representatives from Trusts, nursing and human resources, clinical education centre, leadership centre, professional bodies, staff side organisations and DHSSPS. Nursing Assistants were also represented on the Working Group.
The aim of the Project was to ensure a consistent approach across HSC Trusts regarding the role, remit, function, training and education of Health Care Support Workers undertaking delegated aspects of nursing care and supervised by a registered nurse.
The following resources were developed:
- Standards for Nursing Assistants (A Code of Conduct was developed however this was superceded by the HSC Code of Conduct for all staff)
- Standards for Induction and Development
- Agreed Title, Nursing Assistant (Band 2); Senior Nursing Assistant (Band 3)
- Core Elements of a job description for Band 2 and 3 Nursing Assistants and associated KSF post outlines.
These resources for Nursing Assistants are available to view and download
To find out more about the project click on the Project Plan below.
Three sub groups were established with responsibility to develop.
The Core elements of a regionally agreed job description for band 2 Health Care Support Workers (Chaired by Allison Hume, Assistant Director of Nursing, Northern HSC Trust)
- Code of Conduct, (Chaired by Annette Quigley, Lead Nurse, Workforce Planning and Development Western HSC Trust)
- Core Standards for induction and training (Chaired by Lynn Fee)
- Click here to view the Agendas and Action Notes.