|The R-CAT was developed for use by all those practitioners caring and providing services for patients diagnosed with asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). It was therefore agreed that the impact measurement should focus on the nurses who have a key responsibility for caring with patients with long term conditions, specifically asthma and COPD, in the following service areas:|
- General Practice,
- Acute and Community Respiratory Teams (paediatric and adult),
- Emergency Departments,
- Acute Respiratory Units,
- General Medical and Elderly Care Wards and
- Respiratory Outpatient Clinics.
It was also agreed that it would be useful to explore how the R-CAT has been incorporated into the planning of respiratory specific education and training programmes, from the perspective of those planning, delivering and undertaking the programmes. The project commenced in December 2015 and completed in March 2016. A small team undertook the project comprised of Consultant Nurse for Respiratory Care, Project Chair; a Consultant Nurse, Long Term Conditions, PHA; a NIPEC Council Member and a NIPEC Senior Professional Officer. Three different questionnaires were designed to capture information from the following:
- nurses, including Ward Sisters/Charge Nurses and Respiratory Nurse Specialists, in HSC Trusts, caring for patients with long term conditions, specifically Asthma and COPD, in the acute, community and primary care settings;
- Practice Nurses working in General Practice; and
- Nurse Education Consultants and University Nurse Lecturers of respiratory specific education and training programmes.
View the Project Report
Each year NIPEC undertakes an impact measurement of a sample of it resources using the
One of the resources chosen for the business year 2015-2016 was the: Respiratory Competence Assessment Tool (R-CAT) (revised 2014). To access the competence assessment tool/s please follow the link to the online portfolio http://nipecportfolio.hscni.net/ you must be registered on the site to view the competence assessment tools section which is located on the left hand menu bar.
View the Project Plan
Click here to view Agendas and Action Notes of Meetings