Advanced Nurse Practitioner
The Advanced Nurse Practitioner works as a member of the General Practice Team. They work autonomously within their expanded scope of practice in line with the DoH (2016) Advanced Nursing Practice Framework. The Advanced Nurse Practitioner undertakes comprehensive and holistic health assessment of patients with undifferentiated health conditions, makes differential diagnoses, undertakes diagnostic investigations, formulates a diagnosis and negotiates a management plan with the patient and their family. This includes: prescribing treatment; monitoring health outcomes; making onward referrals and/or discharging patients; and using expert decision-making to care for people presenting with clinical complexity and co-morbidities. In addition, the Advanced Nurse Practitioner provides leadership and education to General Practice teams, contributes to research and promotes innovation, leads service improvement and works collaboratively to influence policy development. Listen to the Advanced Nurse Practitioner to learn more about the Advanced Nurse role by clicking on her name.
Nicola Brown, Advanced Nurse Practitioner
The Advanced Nursing Practice role is supported by a set of four core competency domains and related learning outcomes
Direct Clinical Practice is the first core competency of Advanced Nursing Practice and is supported by three additional competencies:
|View the Competencies||View the Job Description||View the Education Requirements|
CORE COMPETENCY DOMAINS:
DIRECT CLINICAL PRACTICE
- Practise autonomously, using a person-centred approach, within the expanded scope of practice.
- Demonstrate comprehensive skills for assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management and prescribing within the field of practice.
- Use clinical judgement in managing complex and unpredictable care events, drawing upon an appropriate range of inter-agency and professional resources in his/her practice.
- Demonstrate ability to manage and negotiate person-centred health related/care needs for patients and their families.
- Monitor and report quality issue affecting the provision of advanced nursing care delivery.
LEADERSHIP AND COLLABORATIVE PRACTICE
- Develop and sustain partnerships and networks to influence and improve healthcare outcomes and healthcare delivery.
- Engage stakeholders and use high-level negotiating and influencing skills to develop and improve practice, processes and systems.
Provide professional and clinical advice to colleagues regarding therapeutic interventions, practice and service improvement. Demonstrate resilience as a clinical and professional leader. Develop robust governance systems by interpreting and synthesising information from a variety of sources in order to contribute to the development and implementation of evidence-based protocols, documentation processes, standards, policies and clinical guidelines and promote their use in practice.
EDUCATION AND LEARNING
- Continue to keep knowledge and skills up to date by engaging in a range of relevant learning and development activities. Educate, supervise or mentor nursing colleagues and others in the healthcare team.
- Advocate and contribute to the development of an organisational culture that supports continuous learning and development, evidence-based practice and succession planning.
- Lead person-centred care using a practice development approach.Lead and contribute to a range of audit and evaluation strategies which inform education and learning.Lead and contribute to a range of audit and evaluation strategies which inform education and learning.
RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
- Contribute to and undertake activities, including research, that monitor and improve the quality of healthcare and the effectiveness of practice.Critically appraise the outcomes of relevant research and evaluations and apply the information to improve practice.
- Advocate and contribute to the development of a research culture that supports evidence-based practice.
- Lead and contribute to publications and dissemination of work.
- Demonstrate an understanding and application of a range of research methodologies.