FNFM – Preparing to Support Students
All NMC registered nurses and midwives are capable of supervising students and serving as role models for safe and effective practice.
- Every student will have a nominated practice assessor and at least one practice supervisor to support them to achieve a range of learning outcomes.
- It is expected that registrants will progress to become practice assessors.
- Students may also be supervised by other registered health and social care professionals.
Relevant resources and guidance for those preparing to support students can be viewed and downloaded through the FNFM – Resources Page.
Individuals who support students will need to complete a FNFM Practice Supervisor Practice Assessor Preparation Programme, available via the HSC Learning Centre . There are two FNFM Programmes:
- FNFM Practice Supervisor Practice Assessor Transitioning Programme – aimed at those who are transitioning from the role of mentor, sign-off mentor or practice teacher
- FNFM Practice Supervisor Practice Assessor New to Role Programme – aimed at registrants who have never formally supported students in the past.
Non-HSC Organisations will need to register with the HSC Learning Centre first to access these programmes. Information on doing this is available on the FNFM – Non-HSC Organisations Page.
Some HSC Trusts may facilitate, where appropriate, a small number of socially distanced FNFM Preparation Programmes in person. Universities may provide the same for Non-HSC Organisations via webinars/video platforms. Additional information and support/signposting can be obtained from your HSC Trust Practice Education Teams, or from your University for Non-HSC Organisations.
The FNFM Midwifery Expert Reference Group have agreed Midwifery Practice Supervisor/Assessor Preparation programmes. Midwives who support students will need to complete a FNFM Practice Supervisor/Assessor Midwifery Preparation Programme which is available via the HSC Learning Centre . Contact your local Practice Education Team (PET) for local delivery arrangements.
There are two FNFM Midwifery Programmes:
- FNFM Practice Supervisor/ Assessor Transitioning Programme -Midwifery – aimed at those who are transitioning from the role of sign-off mentor
- FNFM Practice Supervisor /Assessor New to Role Programme – Midwifery – aimed at those midwives who have never formally supported students in the past.